The Carlisle Group
Restaurant - Food Service, Hospitality - Hotel
See job description.
The Managing Director of Catering is a member of the Senior Leadership Team (SLT), with primary responsibility for providing leadership and oversight for Hospitality catering and executive services. The Managing Director of Catering will provide support to the Senior Director of Auxiliary and consult SLT in areas of master planning, operations and business growth relative to Catering. The Managing Director of Catering will support the sustainability mission and vision of Hospitality and the University.
- Direct the management and oversight of complex and full service catering and executive services. Develop short and long term plans for improvements and implement standard for exceptional operating procedures for these operations.
- Develop and introduce new food concepts, and explore expansion opportunities throughout the University.
- Develop and implement quality standards in both food presentation and customer service.
- Evaluate and resolve routine and complex operating issues in a union environment.
- Oversee development of financially sustainable targeted food concepts that meet or exceed the expectations of students and clients. Develop and implement pricing and marketing strategies for catering operations.
- Develop budgets for area of responsibility and monitor performance throughout the fiscal year. Provide input on budget development for the department.
- Leverage and coordinate resources within the department, such as procurement, marketing, commissary, finance and human resources, to support food, design, financial structuring and operational modeling.
- Develop and foster positive business relationships throughout the University to support the Hospitality mission.
- Represent Hospitality to students, faculty, staff and guests in a positive and professional manner.
- In collaboration with the Training and Development Manager, mentor and lead development process for Catering and executive services management and culinary staff. Ongoing evaluation of team’s performance, including conducting annual performance reviews.
- Maintain University policies and procedures.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree and 7-10 years of previous hospitality and/or catering management experience or an equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Previous experience in the implementation of sustainable food service options and catering operations.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Advanced knowledge of food production, preparation and presentation in a catering environment. Advanced knowledge of off-premises catering to include, menu writing, trends, marketing, sales, financial tracking, employee training, and a very strong customer focus.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Proven track record in growing catering business. Results oriented, and can work in a high-pressure environment.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Excellent communication skills (written and oral) that include the ability to relate to a diverse community of clients, customers and staff in a highly-decentralized environment.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Proven leadership and interpersonal skills; ability to lead and build a strong and cohesive team. Strong negotiating and presentation skills. Capable of working with diverse groups with divergent interests, providing direction and leadership on campus projects.
Required Skill/Ability 5:
College or university dining service experience. Large volume offsite catering experience. Experience managing bargaining unit employees. Microsoft Suit experience.
Required Licenses or Certifications
ServSafe Certified and Valid Driver’s License.
Sustained standing; frequent bending. Move, lift and carry supplies, equipment, and materials weighing up to 25 pounds without assistance from floor to waist height and 20 pounds to shoulder height. Carry supplies up or down stairs if necessary.
Weekend Hours Required?
Evening Hours Required?
Background Check Requirements
All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.