Benihana National Corporation
Hospitality - Hotel, Management, Restaurant - Food Service
Must have thorough knowledge of Benihana hibachi and sushi food handling, recipes, preparation, cooking and serving. Must possess excellent basic math skills and have the ability to operate a POS system. Intermediate Microsoft Suite computer skills required. (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
Minimum of one (1) year in leadership role in BOH operations in restaurant industry. Previous experience in teppanyaki style restaurant highly desirable. Serv Safe certified, alcohol service certified preferred. Any equivalent combination of education and experience may also be considered.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Business Acumen - Employs analytical, critical thinking, and problem solving skills; plans and efficiently organizes work, appropriately seeks, manages, integrates and interprets data. Able to prioritize work and make sound decisions using available data. Exercises good judgment and is committed to excellence and operational integrity.
- Collaboration & Customer Relationships - Understands the value of diverse talents and perspectives and encourages diversity of thought and ideas. Is always professional when dealing with internal and external customers. Works through differences and finds a productive common ground with others to achieve mutually beneficial results. Has a strong sense of customer service.
- Functional Expertise - Achieves success through a comprehensive knowledge of industry and business as it relates to position. Applies creative solutions resulting in internal and external customer satisfaction. Demonstrates initiative and is accountable for own actions and decisions.
- Communication Skills - Has good verbal and written skills; is effective when communicating with peers and superiors as well as with customers and others outside the company. Expresses opinions and ideas concisely. Encourages two-way communication.
Responsible for the supervision of all kitchen staff, including but not limited to; chefs, cook, delivery personnel, dishwashers, food runners, sushi chefs, kitchen helpers, sushi helpers, etc.
General restaurant environment. May be exposed to smoke, steam, high temperatures, humidity, extreme cold, unpleasant odors, noise and toxic chemicals.
Minimal travel required.
May require to stand for long periods of time. May also be required to carry, lift, move and push objects weighing up to 50 lbs. Movement requirements include feeling, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, handling, fingering and climbing onto roof if necessary.
The Kitchen Manager, under the direction of the General Manager, is responsible for ensuring food preparation, production, recipes and standards within restaurant are operating in accordance to Benihana processes, standards and policies. Monitors and controls hibachi and sushi prime gross costs. Trains and mentors kitchen staff in the areas of food handling, preparation and cooking.
- Oversees and manages sushi and hibachi food handling, preparation and cooking.
- Maintains standard food quality of all Sushi and Hibachi items.
- Inspects preparation, production and storage areas to ensure health and safety regulations are being adhered to at all times
- Supervises cleaning and maintenance of kitchen equipment and arranges for repairs, contracts and other services.
- Maintains appropriate restaurant image, including restaurant cleanliness, proper uniforms, and appearance standards.
- Ensures good safety practices of employees and guests throughout the kitchen. Assists in the maintenance of proper emergency and security procedures
- Coordinates the scheduling of kitchen staff.
- Responsible for all data entry of kitchen staff to ensure it is accurate and completed in a timely and efficient manner in accordance with corporate office guidelines.
- Ensures sanitary practices for food handling, general cleanliness, and maintenance of kitchen area.
- Ensures consistent high quality of food preparation.
- Supervises inventories, portion control and quantities of preparation to minimize waste.
- Estimates food needs, place orders with distributors, and schedule the delivery of fresh food and supplies.
- Provides direction to employees regarding operational and procedural issues.
- Interviews, hires, trains and evaluates kitchen staff.
- Conducts daily line check by visually inspecting, touching, and tasting food items to ensure freshness and recipe adherence and temperature compliance with in Hibachi and Sushi.
- Conducts bi-weekly kitchen workshops for sushi and/or hibachi.
- Conducts daily temperature checks for all cooling units.
- Teaches and instructs safety measures for kitchen employees.
- Operates and utilizes Aloha system (and Hot Schedules) for labor cost and food cost control and sales mix analysis.
- Develops employees by providing ongoing feedback, establishing performance expectations and by conducting performance reviews.
- Prepares schedules and ensure that the kitchen is staffed for all shifts.
- Other duties as assigned.